1/15/12

The Calm Before the Storm







    • Dress from Sears
    • Ring from Buckle
    • Tights from Macy's
    • Zigi Soho boots
    • Socks from Target
    • AE belt
    • Vintage Ralph Lauren vest
    • Thrifted shirt
    • Necklace from Express


These photos were taken on Thursday, right before the snow storm hit. You wouldn't believe how rainy and cold it was when these were taken. The banter between my mother and I was priceless. When we got in the car to drive to wherever we wanted to shoot, I suggested driving a couple miles away to this place by the lake to take photos underneath a red barn. Right then, my mom goes "that's nice, if I suggested this place you'd have been bitching the entire time." This is probably true. From where we have to park the car, it's a little over a half mile walk to the location.

So here we are truckin it to the spot with our flimsy umbrellas, sans coats and tons of equipment in hand. It was a mess. Rain was blowing in sideways and we were freezing our asses off. Halfway through, we started to realize maybe this wasn't the smartest idea.

Once we got there, something went wrong with the tripod and it wouldn't screw into the camera properly. So here I am posing for 5 minutes completely oblivious to the fact that my mom hasn't even gotten the camera screwed on, let alone focused!

As soon as we were all done I pick up an umbrella, hand it to my mom and just then mine takes off in the wind. I guess good things do come to people who do nice things for others. lol. Of course when we reached the car, the rain stopped and the sun started to come out. Naturally. Always an adventure!

So back to the outfit. This one was inspired by Blair of Atlantic-Pacific. I love her effortless preppy layering, and so I decided to try it for myself. I'm a huge fan of gingham as a layering piece, I've done it often (here  and here just to name a few). I just think that it has a nice and simple pattern that plays well as a basis for mixing prints/colors.

Actually, I recently purchased a new gingham shirt that's crazy with color. You'll be seeing it soon, as I'm shooting new photos and a video today with Rob Frank of R Frank Photography! But for now, it's time to eat filet mignon and have some of my mom's awesome red velvet cake in celebration of Molly's college graduation!




Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, you are your mom are such troopers for trekking all the way out like that. The things we do for photographs! I was about to say, your layering reminded me of Blair's... I love it.

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really fun layering look! the necklace is awesome!

    kiss,

    http://www.thefashionableesq.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet look! I love layering! -Jessica

    http://thirtyandgirly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to make a comment, thank you! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover